Re: Question about the config branch

On Fri, 2005-12-16 at 08:40 +0000, sparklezou@hotmail.com wrote:
> Dear all,
>
>     I read the source code of config branch. I'm puzzled that why the
> schema for config branch are defined in the source code, not in a .schema
> file? It a little dificult to extend the config schema. ^_^

As you may have noted, configuration-related schema is bundled with the
code that handles it; moreover, it's not intended for general use (and
re-use), but just for the specific configuration handling purpose it's
defined with.  Since changing the schema would likely require changing
the code, we decided to hardcode it, although having it in a file would
not be an issue, technically.  Most of all, having it in a file could
tempt someone into changing the file more easily that the code, with
unpredictable effects... you may find tons of people in the mailing
lists that happily alter standard track schema files; what would
restrain them from altering configuration schema files as well?

>     And I also think in the schema syntax, it would be better if there
> exists an attribute named "rdn", not only MAST and MAY. for example:
>
>     objectclass ( 2.5.6.6 NAME 'person'
> 	DESC 'RFC2256: a person'
> 	SUP top STRUCTURAL
> 	MUST ( sn $ cn )
> 	MAY ( userPassword $ telephoneNumber $ seeAlso $ description ) )
>

>     Modified to:
>
>     objectclass ( 2.5.6.6 NAME 'person'
> 	DESC 'RFC2256: a person'
> 	SUP top STRUCTURAL
>           RDN ( sn )
> 	MUST ( cn )
> 	MAY ( userPassword $ telephoneNumber $ seeAlso $ description ) )
>
>    It defines that this objectclass should use sn to identify the entry,
> not cn.
>
>    what about your idea?

"your" idea seems not appropriate for this forum, as it violates the
LDAP data model while not being related to OpenLDAP software
development.  Also, you chose a bad example, as it would not be
realistic that standard track schema changes this way, even if your
suggestion gets accepted.

p.

Ing. Pierangelo Masarati
Responsabile Open Solution