Re: Question about the config branch

Pierangelo Masarati wrote:
On Fri, 2005-12-16 at 08:40 +0000, sparklezou@hotmail.com wrote:
And I also think in the schema syntax, it would be better if there exists an attribute named "rdn", not only MAST and MAY. for example:

    objectclass ( 2.5.6.6 NAME 'person'
	DESC 'RFC2256: a person'
	SUP top STRUCTURAL
	MUST ( sn $ cn )
	MAY ( userPassword $ telephoneNumber $ seeAlso $ description ) )

Modified to:

    objectclass ( 2.5.6.6 NAME 'person'
	DESC 'RFC2256: a person'
	SUP top STRUCTURAL
          RDN ( sn )
	MUST ( cn )
	MAY ( userPassword $ telephoneNumber $ seeAlso $ description ) )

It defines that this objectclass should use sn to identify the entry, not cn.

what about your idea?

The schema definition language is defined in X.500 and as Ando says, that discussion is beyond the scope of this forum. I suggest you read X.501 section 13.7 "DIT structure definition", if you want to know how to specify naming attributes in schema. This is particularly addressed in section 13.7.2 "Name form definition."

"your" idea seems not appropriate for this forum, as it violates the LDAP data model while not being related to OpenLDAP software development. Also, you chose a bad example, as it would not be realistic that standard track schema changes this way, even if your suggestion gets accepted.

Since X.500 already provides a means for defining naming attributes I don't think this suggestion has any merit. Of course, OpenLDAP doesn't currently implement DIT structure rules; whether and how to implement those would probably be relevant for this forum.