Re: Schema update using back-config

Pierangelo Masarati wrote:

I'm not sure I completely understood the discussion about how schema files
are handled by back-config; in detail, I'll present a scenario that might
arise, to work out how back-config should handle it.

Schema files are supposed to change very rarely, most of the times when
new items are added, seldom when something is modified (e.g. when a flaw
in some standard track, or as a consequence of some ietf clarification,
details of an existing schema change), while in principle no deletion
should ever occur.

However, historically we have seen items deleted from core.schema when
they move to schema_prep.c; this occurred frequently some time ago, and
might occur again, so my question is: how willback-config behave in these
cases when a directory is provided?  Should the change in the schema file
be applied via protocol?

I'm not sure I understand the question. For the specific case of items moving from core.schema into the code, we would ship a new schema file and discard the old one, just as we do now. Since the server needs to be restarted for the new schema_prep code to take effect anyway, the old schema file can simply be replaced.

I suppose we should be prepared to start distributing LDIF schema files. But regardless, I see this as an offline / manual update process; you can just edit the back-ldif files directly or replace them with new copies.

There may be a problem if you had replication set up between two servers' config backends, and didn't update the executables for both servers at the same time. We're really not in position to address that just yet.