Re: backend overlays

At 05:54 AM 2/20/2005, Howard Chu wrote:
>Pierangelo Masarati wrote:
>
>>If this is completely off-topic, please disregard.
>>
>Let me try again... The proxycache overlay sits on top of (e.g.) back-ldap. It also creates an instance of back-bdb for its local storage. This instance of back-bdb is totally private to the proxycache overlay, it is completely invisible to the rest of slapd so you can't configure anything special on top of it.  The first question in my mind was "would you ever need to put another overlay on top of this private back-bdb?"

Well, if its "totally private to the overlay" and intended
to be invisible, adding some layer in between might cause havoc.

I think a more interesting question is how to support underlying DB
replacement in proxycache and allow access to the configuration
directives of that underlying DB.

        database ldap
        overlay proxycache hdb
        proxycache hdb directory /var/db/proxydb

Then one could add an overlay:
        proxycache hdb overlay syncprov
        proxycache hdb syncprov-sessionlog 100