backend overlays

Every now and then I look at things like the proxycache overlay with its internal database, and wonder if there would ever be a need to put an overlay on that database. I suppose one way to handle that would be to add explicit proxycache directives for configuring such a feature. Another thought that came to mind was being able to declare overlays inside a "backend" section, such that these overlays would automatically be instantiated whenever a particular type of backend is used. Comments?