Re: backend overlays

Pierangelo Masarati wrote:

If this is completely off-topic, please disregard.

Let me try again... The proxycache overlay sits on top of (e.g.) back-ldap. It also creates an instance of back-bdb for its local storage. This instance of back-bdb is totally private to the proxycache overlay, it is completely invisible to the rest of slapd so you can't configure anything special on top of it. The first question in my mind was "would you ever need to put another overlay on top of this private back-bdb?"

Obviously one way to do so would be to add config mechanisms to proxycache so that its private database can be explicitly configured.

The other thought that occurred to me was to declare overlays in the backend-specific config directives. Then whenever a backend of that type is used, it has these other overlays already included. The problem of course is that if the overlay needs any suffix-dependent configuration, there's no way to automate that.

e.g.
backend bdb
overlay syncprov
syncprov-sessionlog 100

database bdb
suffix o=foo

database bdb
suffix o=bar

So each of the two bdb databases would automatically get the syncprov overlay attached with a default sessionlog setting of 100.

And to the original point,

database ldap
overlay proxycache
proxycache bdb 1000 10 20

would allow the proxy's local storage to provide data to other consumers...

p.

Every now and then I look at things like the proxycache overlay with its
internal database, and wonder if there would ever be a need to put an
overlay on that database. I suppose one way to handle that would be to
add explicit proxycache directives for configuring such a feature.
Another thought that came to mind was being able to declare overlays
inside a "backend" section, such that these overlays would automatically
be instantiated whenever a particular type of backend is used. Comments?