Suse 8.2, Linux2.4.20 performance problems?

So a couple months ago I upgraded my old dev box from Suse6 to Suse8.2, from kernel 2.2.25 to 2.4.20. I didn't do much with it after that because I'm doing most of my work on a newer system running Suse 9.1. But anyway, on the Suse8.2 system, I now find that test008, which used to run in under 30 seconds on Suse6, now takes about 72 minutes. It seems that once slapd spawns more than about 10 threads the performance slows to a crawl. Even my "top" which normally refreshes once every 5 seconds slows down to refreshing once every few minutes, and "ps" and "uptime" all hang as well.

So... A bit of googling didn't turn up anything relevant. Has anyone else seen anything like this?