RE: 'Allow backup' extended operation

That should work. This depends on the gentleHUP/soft restart working first.
To bring a new replica online, define it in slapd.conf first, then do the
soft restart. This will get slapd to start replog'ing for the new replica.

Then slapcat and move the resulting LDIF to the new replica. Then restart
slurpd. It's possible some entries will be in both the replog and the LDIF,
but I believe that will be harmless. Certainly no changes will be absent.