ltdl vs. dlfcn & so

While playing with SLAPI, I noticed it directly uses
dlfcn stuff, e.g. #include <dlfcn.h>, dlopen() and so,
while slapd/module.c uses ltdl stuff.  I understand
the latter is far more portable (virtually platform
independent) and much more versatile, but it requires
another library to be available; to make things uniform
we might wrap calls in a SLAP_DL*(), or rather
LDAP_PVT_DL*() fashion and let configure check for libltdl
and, in case of failure, for libdl with dl*() api
(and for any other platform specific replacement).

I'd prefer to have a uniform loadable stuff approach
throughout the package (e.g. to put everything in libldap
with a ldap_pvt_*() interface both for SLAPI and modules.

Comments, before I start coding?

Pierangelo.

--
Dr. Pierangelo Masarati         mailto:pierangelo.masarati@sys-net.it