OpenLDAP Dynamic Backends

I need OpenLDAP to serve data that is partially static and partially generated on the fly.  Because the number of dynamically generated fields is very small, it seems to make sense to implement some kind of proxy backend that handles those  few objects and passes the rest of the searches off to a std backend.

I think that the correct way to do this is to generate the field after the other backend has failed it's search.  It doesn't make sense to scan every search for a certain substring.  Does it seem sensible for me to drop code in slapd/result.c that calls my back-dynamic module?

thanks

C. Donour Sizemore
IBM Extreme Blue / Austin
cdsizemo@us.ibm.com