Re: ldap_str2dn etc.

>But I'm a bit in trouble with DCE. What's the best source of information
>on it (I mean the best within dn string representation issues)?

I don't have a canonical information source, but it is essentially
an X.500 DN, written from MSB to LSB.

For example, the RFC 1779 DN:

	cn=Luke Howard,ou=People,dc=padl,dc=com

is:

	/dc=com/dc=padl/ou=People/cn=Luke Howard

as a "DCE" DN. I called them "DCE" DNs as this format was used by
DCE's Cell Directory Service. Maybe there is a better name.

Also, it would be nice (I just added support for this to my own
little libldap wrapper library) to support Active Directory
canonical names, too. Going from a DN to a canonical name is
easy, the sample example:

	padl.com/People/Luke Howard

Going the other way is a bit tricky to do without talking to
the LDAP server, unless you guess at attribute types. (I don't
know whether LDAP servers would accept a DN like:

	name=Luke Howard,name=People,dc=padl,dc=com

I know our NetInfo backend does, but that's just a fortunate
side-effect.) Probably the DN-to-AD-canonical-name mapping
is enough, anyway...

-- Luke

--
Luke Howard | lukehoward.com