Re: ldap_str2dn etc.

Luke Howard wrote:

> For example, the RFC 1779 DN:
>
>         cn=Luke Howard,ou=People,dc=padl,dc=com
>
> is:
>
>         /dc=com/dc=padl/ou=People/cn=Luke Howard
>
> as a "DCE" DN. I called them "DCE" DNs as this format was used by
> DCE's Cell Directory Service. Maybe there is a better name.
>
> Also, it would be nice (I just added support for this to my own
> little libldap wrapper library) to support Active Directory
> canonical names, too. Going from a DN to a canonical name is
> easy, the sample example:
>
>         padl.com/People/Luke Howard

I note a discepancy between the two forms: one has the leading '/',
the other doesn't.  Was it intended, or can you please check somewhere
what form is preferable (maybe both, with a "pedantic" default?)

> Going the other way is a bit tricky to do without talking to
> the LDAP server, unless you guess at attribute types. (I don't
> know whether LDAP servers would accept a DN like:
>
>         name=Luke Howard,name=People,dc=padl,dc=com

We're not planning to go the other way; see Kurt's comment
in ldap.h on UFN.

Pierangelo.

--
Dr. Pierangelo Masarati               | voice: +39 02 2399 8309
Politecnico di Milano                 | mailto:masarati@aero.polimi.it