Re: Persistent Search - Question on A.J.Martin

Hi Juka,

On Wednesday 19 September 2001 08:30, JUKA AAKULA wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My name is Jukka Aakula and I'm interested to use LCUP or Persistent
> Search in my
> research project at Nokia.
>
> I hope you have time to answer  my question:
>
>     Does the Persistent Search in general and your implementation in
> special scale with number of
>     searches.

I don't think I talk about in general, because there may be better
implementations than mine.

>     In concrete I mean:
>
>     A client is caching a subset of entries of a directory. Which
>     entries to cache cannot be defined in forward but whenever the
> client
>     "gets interested" in an entry the client makes the Persistent Search
> and caches the result.
>
>     There can be a huge number of entries and thus also persistent
> searches.

In my implementation the overhead is basically that of having an
extra thread and connection for each registered persistent client.
There is a transistion log and when a change is made to an entry
it is checked against the requirements of each client.

>     Can the searches be made persistent without performance problems ?

I think the question is compared with what?  I my case I want to have a
distributed hierarchy of sites across Europe,  and I want to maintain
caches...the alternative to psearches would be a polling loop.

(I hope this isn't too offtopic...but the intention is to submit this
code for inclusive with openLDAP if its felt useful)

cheers,
Alex

|  Dr. Alex Martin                                                           |
|  e-Mail:   a.j.martin@qmw.ac.uk         Queen Mary, University of London,  |
|  Phone :   +44-(0)20-7882-5033          Mile End Road,                     |
|  Fax   :   +44-(0)20-8981-9465          London, UK   E1 4NS                |