Re: Detecting an error from ldap_get_values()

At 05:52 PM 3/22/00 +0100, Julio Sánchez Fernández wrote:
>"Kurt D. Zeilenga" wrote:
>>
>> I found a number of routines which need to be fixed in this
>> regard includings references.c, request.c, and result.c.
>
>Before we get too carried away with fixing things,

I don't intend to fix this until LDAPext revises the draft...

>I find clearing the lderrno on every ldap_{first,next}_thing call a
>terrible verbosity.

Yes, but it's the lessor of two evils, IMO.  That is, having
each API call clear LDAP_OPT_ERROR_NUMBER on success would be
worse.

>Actually, using the API would be *much* easier if we could just
>carry away until getting NULL and then checking if an error
>happened. The WG might conclude the same.

I've been chatting with the authors for some time
concerning error indication/reporting inadequencies in the
draft.  Until concensus is reached on an approach, I see no
point in changing -devel.

I encourage others with technical issues regarding this or any
other IETF draft, to raise them in the appropriate WG forum.
The IETF process open to all interested parties.