Re: Is anyone interested in SQL/ODBC backend? I have one...

On Thu, 28 Oct 1999, Dmitry Kovalev wrote:

> Hi.
> The situation is as follows. As possible part of a bigger project, I
> have developed a read-only backend for Umich slapd 3.3 that is intended
> primarily to _present_ information stored in an RDBMS as a set (tree) of
> LDAP objects.
> Suppose we have some centralized information system(s), based on RDBMS
> (maybe on different RDBMSes), which stores and manages things like
> persons info, publications, organization structure, or any other set of
> information resources. By adding several tables with meta information
> about mapping LDAP queries to RDBMS queries on each host, this backend
> allows to join these non-interoperable systems into single distributed
> system-independent LDAP tree.
> Or it could simply help one to publish data in his RDBMS to LDAP without
> having to maintain two copies of the same data in different places :)
> It has nothing to do with _putting_ information into RDBMS through LDAP
> -- I don't think it is a good idea, anyway -- the purposes and ways of
> LDAP and RDBMS are too different...

	I would agree, bi-directional LDAP/RDBMS transfers can get
more than a little complex.  The ability to put a read-only LDAP face
on a backend SQL box is a very useful thing, all those new apps that
can read there user and quota data from LDAP are just waiting to be
tied in with existing user databases.

> In fact, I don't even know if somebody had already done similar work,
> and what problems are currently in fashion here :)

	Not that I am aware of, and the LDAP <-- SQL tie-ins issue has
been around for a long while.

> PS. It is the first time that I'm posting anything anywhere, so excuse
> my Russian English and anything I might have done wrong ;)

	Close enough, other than minor tense and syntax fine, and
 understandable anyway.

As folks might have suspected, not much survives except roaches,
and they don't carry large enough packets fast enough...
        --About the Internet and nuclear war.