Re: Is anyone interested in SQL/ODBC backend? I have one...

Numerous folks have express interest in having a general purpose
RDBM backend added to OpenLDAP.  We currently provide support for
RDBMs through "programmable" backends such as back-tcl and back-perl.
If you have another solution (not necessarily to the same problem)
that is generally usable, we would be happy to incorporate it
into OpenLDAP.

As with any contribution, you (the developer) should first review
our contributing guidelines (http://www.openldap.org/devel/contributing.html).
Then you should port the software to OpenLDAP-devel codes.  These
are only available via CVS (see: http://www.openldap.org/software/repo.html).
Then, when you are have the code functioning as intended, you should
submit a patch (per the contributing guidelines) using OpenLDAP
Issue Tracking System.

You are, of course, encouraged to coordinated your activities on
this list.

At 06:11 PM 10/28/99 +0400, Dmitry Kovalev wrote:
>Another potential problem is that I have just learned of OpenLDAP
>project recently, so the work is done based on pure Umich LDAP 3.3, no
>autoconf and things... Does it really make a problem?

Shouldn't be too much of a problem.  The backend interface hasn't
changed too much and adding the basic build support can usually
be done by following the example of other backends.

>In fact, I don't even know if somebody had already done similar work,
>and what problems are currently in fashion here :)

You can review the archives for previous discussions concerning
RDBMS/SQL backends and related work.

>If there is some coordinator on this matter, please mail me in any case,
>telling about current situation about LDAP and RDBMS :)

This list is used for coordination and development discussions.

>If anyone is interested, mail me too - I'll then have whole Umich build
>tree with sql-backend arranged and published on FTP. Or maybe I should
>better learn CVS and rearrange sources?

Though making code available is always nice... it will be more
usable to the general public if updated to OpenLDAP...  and CVS
really is quite easy to learn.

>I also could post some information concerning architecture and usage of
>the backend.

Feel free to post such concerns on this list.

>PS. It is the first time that I'm posting anything anywhere, so excuse
>my Russian English and anything I might have done wrong ;)

You're english ain't no worse then mine.  :-)

Kurt

----
Kurt D. Zeilenga		<kurt@boolean.net>
Net Boolean Incorporated	<http://www.boolean.net/>