Re: HELP!

At 02:20 PM 10/14/99 -0700, Samuel A. Falvo II wrote:
>I joined this list because every indication on OpenLDAP's website told me,
>as a developer using OpenLDAP's software, to join this list.

You have misread the list charter, it says "developer OF"
not "developer USING".

>If you have a problem with this, I can re-join another list,
>but PLEASE make it more clear on your website in the process.

If you have website suggestions, you are more than welcome to
send them to webmaster@openldap.org.  It's likely that no amount
of clarification will stop folks from posting to the wrong group
(especially considering those which English is not their native
tongue).  An occassional reminder is needed to maintain the focus
of mailing lists.  Don't take the redirection to software
personally, it was meant as much for the list as it was for you.

>I have reviewed your FAQ, and found zero answers to my specific problem.

Then I suggest you post to the software mailing list as I suggest...

>> a demonstration of the problem using the ldap command line tools
>> provided with the distribution.
>But I'm not using the ldap command-line tools -- I'm trying to write my
>own stuff for my own software requirements.

But those who you ask to help you do you these tools.  They
are well understood and stable.  You need to help them help you.

>> >ADDING a new directory entry?
>>
>> It means the server cannot hold (or master) the target DN of the
>> operation.
>
>This makes no sense to me at all, as I'm trying to add a directory entry
>underneath my own directories!

Your problem, to me, appears to misconfiguration and/or bad
input.  If you post details to the software list, I am sure
some kind user will be more than happy to help you through
your problem.

Regards, Kurt

----
Kurt D. Zeilenga		<kurt@boolean.net>