Re: [ldapext] Unfinished business: password policy and VLV

On Jan 24, 2008, at 11:18 AM, John McGarvey wrote:

> LDAP password policy and VLV (scrolling view browsing) are
> implemented by a number of LDAP servers, more or less in accordance
> with now expired drafts.  Both of these extensions are quite
> valuable, and both now have multiple independent implementations,
> but there are no corresponding RFCs.  Is there a plan to get these
> drafts back on track?  It seems to me that there should be.

I am presently working in the area of password policy.  I hope to have
a few drafts (yes, more than one) submitted soon.  One I-D will be a
password policy proposal based on, but different than, the old behera
I-D.  This I-D will be targeted for both the IETF standards track and
ITU/ISO standard.  A second I-D will contain Experimental extensions
to work with RFC 2307 passwords, e.g. {SSHA}xxxx.  A third I-D will
contain related (but not password authentication specific) features,
such as "account locking".  This I-D will be aimed at IETF standards
track.

Given the history of competing VLV proposals and standards work, I
would shooting for Informational.  In particular, I suggest
documenting what folks have implemented in this area as opposed to
producing a new VLV standard.  Any attempt to produce a VLV standards
would quickly find itself revisiting all the issues LDAPext faced (but
didn't resolve) during it last year(s).

-- Kurt