Re: [ldapext] Unfinished business: password policy and VLV

John McGarvey wrote:

> Gavin,
>
> The links you point to describe what is in OpenLDAP.  The problem I
> observe is that there are a number of widely implemented features in
> directories from Sun and Microsoft and Novell and IBM and others, which
> are reasonably interoperable and based on RFC drafts, but for which
> there are no RFCs.  In addition to VLV and Password Policy, Persistent
> Search is another in this category.  Now, LCUP is arguably more complete
> than Persistent Search, but except for OpenLDAP, I don't know who
> implements it.
>
> The problem here is that we have some RFCs that are implemented in 0 or
> 1 LDAP servers, and a few shared functions that many servers have for
> which there are no RFCs.  One goal of the RFCs is to promote
> interoperability, and so it would be good if we had RFCs for Persistent
> Search, Password Policy, and VLV.

Sure, that is a great goal, but if all the vendors have some varying
degree of these features already, how likely is it that an RFC would be
implemented so far down the line?

I know it would be quick for some of the features you list with OpenLDAP.

--
Kind Regards,

Gavin Henry.
Managing Director.