Re: [ldapext] Unfinished business: password policy and VLV

Gavin,

The links you point to describe what is in OpenLDAP.  The problem I observe is that there are a number of widely implemented features in directories from Sun and Microsoft and Novell and IBM and others, which are reasonably interoperable and based on RFC drafts, but for which there are no RFCs.  In addition to VLV and Password Policy, Persistent Search is another in this category.  Now, LCUP is arguably more complete than Persistent Search, but except for OpenLDAP, I don't know who implements it.

The problem here is that we have some RFCs that are implemented in 0 or 1 LDAP servers, and a few shared functions that many servers have for which there are no RFCs.  One goal of the RFCs is to promote interoperability, and so it would be good if we had RFCs for Persistent Search, Password Policy, and VLV.

Regards,

John McGarvey
IBM directory architect

John McGarvey wrote:

> LDAP password policy and VLV (scrolling view browsing) are implemented
> by a number of LDAP servers, more or less in accordance with now expired
> drafts.  Both of these extensions are quite valuable, and both now have
> multiple independent implementations, but there are no corresponding
> RFCs.  Is there a plan to get these drafts back on track?  It seems to
> me that there should be.

There was some discussion about VLV in November last year at:

http://www.openldap.org/lists/openldap-software/200711/msg00175.html
http://www.openldap.org/lists/openldap-software/200711/msg00184.html

--
Kind Regards,