Re: [ldapext] Dynamic group draft

Jaimon Jose writes:
>Howard Chu wrote:
>> Fair enough. That just brings me back to my earlier point that there
>> should be an actual syntax defined for URLs.
>
> Thinking more about this, I think, I like the idea.  If I have a large
> number of URLs stored, my searches can be more efficient if I can index
> on each of the URL elements.

You need special matching rules too for that, and support for indexing
of extended filters like "(memberQueryURL:LDAPURLScopeMatch:=sub)".

Alternatively, you could define a "normalized" form of LDAP URLs where
all '?'s are present, and then a sort of substring match, so
(memberQueryURL=ldap:///c=foo??*) would match 'ldap:///c=foo'.
A '*' should only match one URL component.

BTW, keep in mind that if the draft makes use a new syntax and new
matching rules, it can't be implemented (correctly) unless the syntax
and matching rules are implemented as well.  So it might be a bad idea
to make them very complicated.

Still, with a really useful draft which pushes for their implementation,
there may be a real hope that such a syntax will get widely implemented,
so we can make use of it for other URLs too:-)

--
Regards,
Hallvard