Re: [ldapext] objectIdentifierMatch

Kurt,

Kurt D. Zeilenga wrote:
I note that in some cases OID and objectIdentifierMatch are
used where it would be more appropriate for the syntax/matching
rules for attribute descriptions to be used.  Attribute
descriptions allow language and other tags to be specified.

Unforunately, matching rules commonly used for attribute
descriptions do not deal with ambiguity in naming of attribute
types (cn v commonName v 2.5.4.3) as well as ambiguity
caused by ordering of attribute options.

So, we might consider designing robust 'attribute description'
syntax and matching rules

I support this. I can't stuff an LDAP attribute description into an OBJECT IDENTIFIER in X.500, so "attribute description" needs to be a distinct syntax for LDAP/X.500 alignment. My preference would be for the underlying ASN.1 type of such a syntax to be the same as the AttributeDescription type I have defined for XLDAP, i.e.

  AttributeDescription ::= SEQUENCE {
       type        ATTRIBUTE.&id({SupportedAttributes}),
       options     SEQUENCE SIZE (1..MAX) OF
                        option UTF8String OPTIONAL }

even if the LDAP-specific encoding is defined to be the ABNF
for AttributeDescription from RFC 2251.

Regards,
Steven

(instead of or in addition to
an attribute type schema description extension).

Kurt