Re: [ldapext] objectIdentifierMatch

At 03:23 AM 2/15/2006, Howard Chu wrote:
>It seems this matching rule is rather difficult to use in practice,

with descriptor support, yes.

>given that it's supposed to accept textual descriptors in addition to numeric OIDs, but there's no way for apps to know in what context the valid descriptors reside. (See http://www.openldap.org/its/index.cgi/Software%20Bugs?id=4025 for an example of how this affected our password policy implementation, ITS#4402 for another user tripping over it in an arbitrary schema.)

It's difficult to know whether a particular descriptor
unambiguously refers to a particular OID.  LDAP has always
allowed an OID to refer to different OIDs in different contexts.

>I was thinking that using a new extension like e.g. X-NAMESPACE 'attr' to attribute definitions with this matching rule might help make things less ambiguous. Suggestions?

I'd prefer something like X-OID-CONTEXT than
X-NAMESPACE as the latter is not OID-specific.  And as values,
I would spell them out for clarity.  That is,
        X-OID-CONTEXT 'attributeTypes'

Of course, even descriptors naming a particular kind of object
may be ambiguous, like 'x-foo'.  This is why I suggested
'X-OID-CONTEXT' instead of 'X-OID-KIND'.  The term context
implies which kind of object is being named, but the source
of the names (for 'attributeTypes', the controlling schema).

Kurt