Re: [ldapext] Interaction of <draft-behera-ldap-password-policy> with authentication applications

On Wed, 2006-01-04 at 19:50 -0800, Howard Chu wrote:

> Where the two situations overlap, it makes sense to me to unify them. I
> think there is sufficient overlap in the Cyrus SASL case. Where the two
> situations differ, it makes sense to isolate the differences. The
> password policy specification only talks about password management. A
> user's IP address may figure into authentication policy or more
> generally into access control, but that's outside the scope of a
> password discussion.

I've been looking at the spec again, from the password management angle.
I understand the intent to limit the scope here.

What I'm worried about is again an application proxy issue, but more
limited:  Strictly within the password management space, I want to
communicate to the back end the difference between:

 - user changes their password
 - administrator changes a user's password (but must follow some
restrictions)
 - big hammer (I am going to set 'cat' and you shouldn't stop me...)

I need that in Samba4 (and indeed the first 2 in Samba3), if we are to
have the directory enforce the password policies.  However, in all cases
the bind occurs as an administrative user, as we never get the user's
cleartext in these protocols.

I presume the big hammer matches up with ManageDIT?  Could we add a
control to advise the backend of the other details?

Andrew Bartlett