Re: [ldapext] Interaction of <draft-behera-ldap-password-policy> with authentication applications

Setting aside the question of what draft might address this, it looks like there are two things (at least) to address:

1.  Proxied binds, where the server provides a password but doesn't receive a bind request (or even compare).  An application performs authentication after using search to retreive the password.
2.  Proxied password changes, where the server stores the password but an application changes the password on behalf of a user.

I assume the password is shared with other applications or LDAP clients, otherwise there's really no need to have LDAP password policy at all; you just need a schema.

For the proxied bind case, I think an extended request would be appropriate.  There was some mention of changes to search.  Unless I missed the point, it seems like that would require two searches - one to retrieve the password and account status, a second to somehow indicate bind success or failure.  That seems like inappropiate use of a search control.  The extended request value could contain an entry DN and an indication of whether the bind was successful or not.  The server would update the password policy state accordingly.  I agree that items like clients IP address would be outside the scope of this discussion.

For the proxied password change, I think you'd want a control attached to the modify request (or the password change extended request).  As I read it, the existing password policy acknowledges a two kinds of password changes:
1.  changing your own password
2.  changing someone else's password

As you suggested, one could define a control to cover the first case. I don't think the control needs any value, just the presence of the control to tell the server to act like this is a password change from the client.  At that, the LDAP Proxied Authorization Control (draft-weltman-ldapv3-proxy-xx) might also work, though it carries a lot more function with it unless the server implementation is restricted to just this use.

For the second case, I don't think we need to define anything extra.  It seems to me this falls cleanly into the category of changing someone else's password and should be covered by the password policy draft.  Your note suggests there might be some holes in password policy draft - different flavors of administrative password changes - and I don't know if the existing draft meets your needs there.

John  McMeeking