Re: [ldapext] Dynamic values in LDIF

We discussed some ideas along these lines when I was at Netscape. Our conclusion was that this took LDIF too close to a scripting language, and that standardization of such a thing probably would be difficult. But no one can stop you from trying ;-)

-Mark

Jim Sermersheim wrote:
It's difficult (well, impossible I guess) to write an LDIF file which can be used to update schema because one never knows the name of the subschema subentry in effect for the object(s) for which the schema is being updated. (I'm assuming a DSA which can modify schema. i.e. X.501(93) Clause 14.5).
If LDIF were extended to allow (at least) DN replacement, this would allow an LDIF to be used to update schema (without the LDIF being modified for each DSA it is to be applied to). Something like an assignment directive in form of a search URL could be used to assign a value to a variable, then that variable could be used in subsequent LDIF records.
Is there any effort underway to do something like this?