chaining SASL binds (Was: [ldapext] Chained Operation (control, extended op, or op?))

I changed the subject as it likely best to separate this
discussion from the more general chained operation discussion.

At 12:54 AM 6/25/2004, Ramsay, Ron wrote:
>It seems a funny model. The X.500 approach would be to bind to the other DSA at the appropriate authentication level and pass the requester and the auth level in the request. In fact, I don't even understand what is meant by chaining SASL bind exchanges as some of these would be point to point and no third party would/should be able to participate.

s/no third party/no untrusted third party (e.g., an attacker)/

Mechanisms are often designed to offer protection from MITM attack.
While these mechanisms can make it hard for trusted 3rd parties
to participate in the exchange, they don't generally preclude
such participation.  It is often possible for trusted 3rd
parties to participate without losing the MITM protective
services.

The reason why I want to formalize a mechanism for trusted 3rd
party participation is to ensure the MITM protective services
are preserved.

Kurt