Re: JAVA SDK and error code handling for Server Side Sorting

At 11:37 AM 4/27/01, John Liang wrote:
>It sounds to me Netscape JAVA API expects LDAP_SUCCESS
>in SearchResultDone message when there is an error associated
>with SSS control.

That appears to be the RFC 2891 described behavior (section 2,
item 4).

>I remember that we had a discussion about defining a new error
>code like ControlError for an error associated with controls
>and put detailed error code to the result control from the server.
>Any new progress on this?

There is an I-D available for review:
  draft-armijo-ldap-control-error-01.txt

I believe the current intent is to modify VLV to use this result
code.

I would like to see this result code used with SSS as well, but
that would require revising RFC 2891.

>And what is the programming model for the client API at this
>case? First check the result code for SearchResultDone; and
>then check the result code in the result control if any?

The client should first check the LDAP resultCode in the
response PDU.  If this resultCode is controlError, then the
client should behave as indicated in the request control(s)
specifications.  This may involve checking values in response
control(s).

Note that SSS does prescribe use of controlError and hence
the processing of SSS should not result in a controlError.

Kurt