Re: Comments on namedref draft

At 10:09 AM 4/24/01, Richard V Huber wrote:
>My concern is that flexibility in URIs will work against
>interoperability.  A fully conforming server can return referrals that
>a fully conforming client has no idea how to deal with.

That's primarily an protocol issue which LDAPbis should address.

However, I note that this I-D should say that it does not address
use of non-LDAP URIs and hence the paragraph in question should
be rewritten.  I suggest:

  Other URI schemes MAY be used so long as all operations returning
  referrals based upon the value could be performed.  This document
  does not detail use of non-LDAP URIs.  This is left to future
  specifications.

  All values of a ref attribute MUST point to services which are
  equally capable of handling operations referred to these services.

Kurt