Re: DN->DNS mapping in draft-ietf-ldapext-locate-05.txt

To me, your point is just a reminder that we do not fully understand the
ramifications of the proposed change.  Of course other variants of the
basic algorithm are possible as well, such as:

a) Scan from the right of the DN until you find the first dc component.
b) Consume the dc components to form the DNS name, stopping when you see
a non-dc component.

In other words, don't use ALL of the dc components but just the most
significant set of adjacent ones.  If the above algorithm is followed,
each of these DNs would map to an example.com SRV lookup:

dc=consumer,dc=com,ou=domains,ou=consumer,ou=customers,dc=example,dc=com
uid=bjensen,dc=example,dc=com,o=Example Industries,c=US.
dc=bogus,uid=bjensen,dc=example,dc=com,o=Example Industries,c=US.

But again, what new issues will arise that we have not yet considered?
And what flexibility have we given up that someone will want?

I don't strongly disagree with any of the points made so far, but I am
skeptical about one thing:  the value of making any changes to the
current algorithm.  It seems unlikely to me that PKI deployers will
really issue certificates that contain DNs like this:

    uid=bjensen,ou=accounting,dc=example,dc=com,o=Example
Industries,c=US

Given the fact that they will need to issue new certs, why wouldn't they
just add another directory naming context and use DNs like this:

    uid=bjensen,ou=accounting,dc=example,dc=com

They will want to make that transition someday anyway.  No?

-Mark Smith
 Netscape