Alias pointing to ancestor

A question has risen in the context of some interoperability tests regarding whether it is allowed to have an alias entry that points to an ancestor entry.

I can't find any reference to this in X.501. I see in section 9.5 that an alias can point to a non-leaf, as well as to another alias, but it doesn't mention pointing to accentors.

I assume it's disallowed, otherwise there should be an instruction regarding how circular dereferencing is to be handled. I couldn't find anything like that in X.511.

Is any of this talked about and I'm just missing it?

Jim