Re: Comments on draft-seilenga-lldap-cancel-00.txt

At 11:59 AM 1/24/01 -0700, Jim Sermersheim wrote:
><snip>
>>However, I think the basic issue here is whether or not a
>>protocol extension to LDAP can amend the ASN.1.  I believe
>>limited amendments can be made, including:
>>        - additional elements may be added to sequences, and
>
>I agree

This is explicit in RFC 2251, Section 4.

>>        - additional choices may be added,
>
>I agree

There is no specific statement in RFC 2251 allowing such additions.

>>        - additional values may be added to enumerations.
>
>I cannot find the clause that allows this, can you explain?

There is no specific statement in RFC 2251 allowing such additions.

In my view, this I-D proposes a change to the LDAP protocol
using one of the provided extension mechanism.  That is, the
changes are only visible when the extension is being used
by mutual agreement of both peer.  If an extension mechanism
was not used, I would argue the version would have to be
incremented.