RE: Fwd: controlling visability of subentries

Hi, Helmut -

The ObjectClass=SUBENTRY approach (call that option 3) was my original
suggestion, but the objection to that is that search filters can quickly become
very complex, particularly if there are other similar "special" filters to add to the
mix, and that pulling them out into a control allows much more clarity of the
search filters themselves.  Reasonable.

So, I agree a control is prefered, and now we need to decide what that
control should look like - and thus my mail note.

In another response, Mark Smith copied the X.511 description of the
service control data strcture which governs subentry visibility as part
of the CommonArguments parameter of X.500 requests.  And he points
out that there is a lot of stuff there that not everyone will support
in the near (or even distant) future.

I suppose the "LDAP" thing to do would be to create a separate control
for subentry visibility, and if some LDAPv3bis work item in the future
wants to consolidate several controls into a single control ala X.511 we
can consider that then.  My current thinking is that makes sense.

But - would like to hear from more of the lists, first.

Thanks,
Ed

=================
Ed Reed
Reed-Matthews, Inc.
+1 801 796 7065
http://www.Reed-Matthews.COM

>>> "Volpers, Helmut" <helmut.volpers@icn.siemens.de> 10/19/00 02:03AM >>>
Hi Ed,

I personally think that solution 2 is the best one, specially for
the future.
If you take solution 1 it will also work, but at least you will create
a control for every additional service control you will support.
I think to work with a control is a clean solution but the number
of controls increase rapitly and different servers have a lot of
different controls they support.
I think there is the requirement that the protocol has to be compatible
and only some administrative clients will use this feature and a simple
LDAP Client should not been broken.
We handle subentries over LDAP for all update operations like normal entries
and for the search in a special way, so if the filter contains
ObjectClass=SUBENTRY
the search operation is only for subentries and all other search operations
exclude subentries. Is this a problem ?