From: Bruce Greenblatt [mailto:bgreenblatt@directory-applications.com]
Sent: Wednesday, October 11, 2000 12:09
To: sanjay jain
Cc: ldapext
Subject: Re: which naming attribute ...

Sanjay,

As I recall, in Novell's implementation (the Novell guys can correct me if
I'm misremembering),  NDS enforces the naming rules mandated by the base
class of the object the Alias points to.  So, if the alias points to a user
object, you could use the cn attribute as a naming attribute.  Similarly,
if the alias points to an organizationalUnit object, you could use the ou
attribute as a naming attribute.  This behaviour is unique to Novell's
implementation.  In other implementations, you should use the
aliasedObjectName as the naming attribute.

Bruce

Bruce Greenblatt, Ph. D.
Directory Tools and Application Services, Inc.
http://www.directory-applications.com
See my new Book on Internet Directories:
http://www.phptr.com/ptrbooks/ptr_0139744525.html