Re: which naming attribute ...

Bruce,

Your description of the NDS implementation is correct. Using aliasedObectName as the RDN has the problem Ron pointed out earlier. One of the key points of having an alias is to give it a different name. The use of aliasedObjectName kind of restricts you in that regard.

Jim

>>> Bruce Greenblatt <bgreenblatt@directory-applications.com> 10/11/00 1:08:30 PM >>>
Sanjay,

As I recall, in Novell's implementation (the Novell guys can correct me if
I'm misremembering),  NDS enforces the naming rules mandated by the base
class of the object the Alias points to.  So, if the alias points to a user
object, you could use the cn attribute as a naming attribute.  Similarly,
if the alias points to an organizationalUnit object, you could use the ou
attribute as a naming attribute.  This behaviour is unique to Novell's
implementation.  In other implementations, you should use the
aliasedObjectName as the naming attribute.

Bruce

Bruce Greenblatt, Ph. D.
Directory Tools and Application Services, Inc.
http://www.directory-applications.com
See my new Book on Internet Directories:
http://www.phptr.com/ptrbooks/ptr_0139744525.html