Re: Use of criticality in dupent-04

> I wouldn't mind removing this, but... 2251 is ambiguous in this area. > If 2251 were to state that the criticality field is only valid and > checked in requests, and ignored for responses, I'd feel more > comfortable. Note also that there are a number of other drafts that > have the same language (see SSS and VLV).

Yep - they are wrong as well. Seems like you all copied from each
other

David

Are you saying that it is not allowed to put a criticality field in a control that appears in an operation response? This certainly seems to make sense. The LDAP client has already received the result of the operation. It doesn't really seem to matter at that point whether the control in the response was critical or not. If the client doesn't understand the control, it won't make use of it in either case. If the client does understand the control, it doesn't matter what the criticality is either. RFC 2251 should definitely say that criticality in controls that come back to the client in a response can be safely ignored.