Re: Use of criticality in dupent-04

> Are you saying that it is not allowed to put a criticality field in a
> control that appears in an operation response?  This certainly seems
> to make sense.  The LDAP client has already received the result of the
> operation.  It doesn't really seem to matter at that point whether the
> control in the response was critical or not.  If the client doesn't
> understand the control, it won't make use of it in either case.  If
> the client does understand the control, it doesn't matter what the
> criticality is either.  RFC 2251 should definitely say that
> criticality in controls that come back to the client in a response can
> be safely ignored.

I believe this is the case at the moment with all existing RFCs and
IDs, and is compatible with X.500.

However, we might (only might note, I am not suggesting it) want to
consider the case for the future, that if the client and server go into
a prolonged dialogue, where the client must reply to the server and
must do something that the server is asking, then the client acts on
the criticality flag and says "sorry cant do" to the server if the client
does not understand a critical control. But really in this case the
client is no longer a client but a peer, isn't it?

David

David Chadwick
IS Institute, University of Salford, Salford M5 4WT
Tel +44 161 295 5351  Fax +44 161 745 8169
Mobile +44 790 167 0359
Email D.W.Chadwick@salford.ac.uk
Home Page  http://www.salford.ac.uk/its024/chadwick.htm
Understanding X.500  http://www.salford.ac.uk/its024/X500.htm
X.500/LDAP Seminars http://www.salford.ac.uk/its024/seminars.htm
Entrust key validation string MLJ9-DU5T-HV8J