RE: Use of criticality in dupent-04

Title: RE: Use of criticality in dupent-04

I'd say that if a response operation has a control and the client does not understand it  then:
a) if the control is critical then the client SHOULD NOT make use of this response or (obviously) the associated control

b) if the control is not critical then the client MAY use the response and discard the control.

If the client doesn't understand the control it will not make use of it - true, but the criticality is an indication to whether or not the server recommends the utilization of the response in case the control is not understood.

For example:
LCUP [should] makes use of criticality in the entryUpdate controls attached to SearchResultEntries to mark deleted entries:

   returns a set of SearchResultEntries that fits the client's
   specification. To represent a deleted entry, the server attaches an
   entryUpdate control to the corresponding SearchResultEntry. The
   SearchResultEntry corresponding to a deleted entry MUST contain a
   valid DN and a valid uniqueid but, to reduce the amount of data sent
   to the client, it SHOULD not contain any other attributes."

Mircea.