(a.josey 14931) Re: (c.harding 44333) Re: regexMatch (Was: substring filters using DN attributes ?)

>Is there a standard definition  of what a regular expression actually is ?

There certainly is.

It is part of the standard definition of the UNIX(TM) operating system
which is available (foc) from The Open Group, see
http://www.opengroup.org/publications/catalog/t912.htm#medium2

The definition of regular expressions is at
http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/007908799/xbd/re.html

>I ask this because if you work on Solaris for example, there are n different
>libraries and functions for doing regular expression matching so the meaning
>of "regular expression" is not so obvious.
>
>Rob.
>
>"Kurt D. Zeilenga" wrote:

>> >It would be interesting to see examples of the kinds of LDAP application
>> >problems that would be more easily addressed if such a matching rule was
>> >available.
>>
>> I agree.  In fact, I wouldn't attempt to write such an I-D
>> without decent examples.  In general, such a rule would be useful
>> to applications which required very specific, complex matching
>> which cannot easily be decomposed into a substrings assertion.
>> I'll try to come up with some examples, hopefully ones which
>> are not too contrived.
>>
>> >If all we really need is a way to anchor the start and end
>> >of strings (i.e., ^ and $ from regex), I'd rather see a more narrow
>> >proposal.  Why?  Because general regular expression matching will be
>> >quite difficult to support using indexes, etc.
>>
>> I concur that general regular expressions are quite difficult to
>> to support using indexing.  I also concur that applications wanting
>> to make an assertion should use an appropriate matching rule.  I
>> fully agree that applications wanting to simply assert start/end
>> text should use a substrings matching rules.
>>
>> Kurt

Regards,

Chris
+++++

           Chris Harding
  T H E    Directory Program Manager
 O P E N   Apex Plaza, Forbury Road, Reading RG1 1AX, UK
G R O U P  Mailto:c.harding@opengroup.org  Phone:  +44 118 950 8311 x2262
           WWW: http://www.opengroup.org   Mobile: +44 771 8588820