Re: substring filters using DN attributes ?

At 01:37 PM 7/24/00 -0500, Mark Wahl wrote:
>There has been some interest from a number of implementors and users to have
>matching rules for partial DNs but no I-Ds have yet been published in this
>ares.

I've meaning to publish a regexMatch rule I-D which would allow
matching of an asserted regular expression against the string
representation of attribute values.  Of course, to be useful with
DNs, we'd have to have to define a canonical string representation
of DNs.  Given such, you would be able to do DN matching like:

        (member:regexMatch:=.*,dc=example,dc=com$)

Such a matching rule, I believe, would be generally useful in
a number of applications.  Of course, user applications may
not want to expose regular expressions to average Joe.

If others concur that this would be generally useful, I'll put
up a straw man proposal after IETF#48.

Kurt