Re: Is CLDAP connectionless or not?

> I think the SASL debate actually evolves out of a deeper problem with the
> CLDAP draft itself:
>
> Is it a specification for running an LDAP session over UDP, or is it a
> specification for running LDAP queries in connectionless mode?

Both and none. In order to be able to use read with access-control you need,
as someone already pointed out, to be able to identify a session, defined by
a completed bind which does require something beyond what is provided in the
draft. For anonymous reads the situation is different.

You may not care about reordering of packets in a search response -- the
searchResultDone packet might be uninteresting for an application where
results not returned within a very short time are dropped anyway -- or even,
heaven forbid, about loss of packets in a search response. Some applications
may care to get a reply back from modify-operations :-) This is imho best
handled with a set of controls and/or exops.

For instance if you really care about getting all your search responses in
the right order you can either (sketching here so please forgive some
handwaving) add a control with a sequence number or create an exop response
which contained a SEQUENCE OF ldap pdu's. Which is better? I don't know.
Does it absolutely have to go into this draft? I hope not :-)

> In the first case, the spec is incomplete; it needs to essentially rebuild
> all of TCP's machinery in order to get reliably delivered requests and

Not all of it. Reordering may not be an issue, packet loss may not be an
issue. An extra set of controls could be considered a tool for selecting which
aspects
of a full connection is interesting to the application. Having said that I
absolutely agree that if we get close to finding ourselves implementing tcp
in LDAP/UDP to get basic functionality the project must be dropped.

	Cheers Leif