Re: Is CLDAP connectionless or not?

At 09:12 06.06.2000 +0200, Leif Johansson wrote:
> I think the SASL debate actually evolves out of a deeper problem with the
> CLDAP draft itself:
>
> Is it a specification for running an LDAP session over UDP, or is it a
> specification for running LDAP queries in connectionless mode?

Both and none. In order to be able to use read with access-control you need,
as someone already pointed out, to be able to identify a session, defined by
a completed bind which does require something beyond what is provided in the
draft. For anonymous reads the situation is different.

Then I think we need to be able to tell the difference between the two modes.
And even with anonymous reads, there should be a reason why the client trusts the answers from the server.
(The DNS, as currently deployed, has the request ID as its sole "security". It's just slightly more than nothing, and clearly not Good Enough.)

Also, if you have a "session" that is entirely unprotected against insert/remove attacks, you have a security problem.
Imagine someone inserting extra replies into your search result, for instance.

                 Harald

Harald.Alvestrand@edb.maxware.no