Re: please publish draft-mmeredith-rootdse-vendor-info-01.txt

I will add your suggestion to section 6  Notes to Client Developers. To read something like this.

6. Notes to Client Developers

     The use of vendorName and vendorVersion SHOULD NOT be used to
     discover features. It is just an informational attribute. If a
     client relies on a vendorVersion number then that client MUST
     be coded to work with later versions and not just one version and
     no other.

     If the client does not recognize the specific vendorName/vendorVersion as
     one it has for its 'bug workaround needed' table, then the client MUST
     assume that the server it is talking to is complete and correct.

Does this look ok?

-Mark

Mark Meredith
Novell Inc
122 E. 1700 S. Provo UT 84606
mark_meredith@novell.com
801-861-2645
---------------------
A boat in the harbor is safe,
but that is not what boats are for.
--John A. Shed
---------------------

>>> Mark Wahl <M.Wahl@INNOSOFT.COM> 02/09/00 09:45AM >>>

> However, every server implementation has "quirks" (also sometimes known as
> bugs), which may not be known in advance of shipping the server.

Correct.  My concern is primarily that the draft is proposing also doing
feature selection with this.  I don't have a problem in general with using
version names and numbers for bug detection though, so long as the client
behavior is specified along the lines of

If the client does not recognize the specific vendor/version as one it has
its 'bug workaround needed' table, then the client must assume that the
server it is talking to is complete and correct.

Mark Wahl, Directory Product Architect
Innosoft International, Inc.