unsolicited controls (Was: I-D ACTION:draft-weltman-ldapv3-auth-response-01.txt)

I like to voice a general concern about unsolicited response
controls.  That is, controls provided by servers without the
client implicit or explicit solicitating the control.

I believe we should discourage unsolicited controls in responses.

As the number of such controls increase, which is inevidable,
clients and networks will be overloaded with unneeded information.
It would prudent, IMO, to provide and encourage use of client
solicatation of desired information.  That is, our general
protocol model is one of client request/server response.  I
see no overriding reason why this particular control should
not be sent without solicitation.

I suggest that this response control be explicitly solicited
by the client via a request control.

	Kurt