Re: objectclass of the Root DSE

Subentries are administrative entries that are located immediately
subordinate to an administrative point, frequently as a naming context
boundary or a 'ou'.  The root DSE is not subordinate to anything: it
is in X.500 terms its own DSE type ('root') and not of the subentry
DSE type ('subentry').  The only reason we need an object class for
this is that in 2251 we said you could do a objectclass=* search on it.
The actual object class value is not relevant.

Mark Wahl, Directory Product Architect
Innosoft International, Inc.