Re: C API: minor comments

Mark Wahl wrote:
> Unsolicited is zero.  How about this instead:
>
>  Implementations of the API SHOULD assign message IDs for client generated
>  requests in a range between 1 and 2147483647, to be able to easily
>  distinguish them from unsolicited notifications.

All of the discussion about message IDs is interesting, but doesn't a
statement like the one or others have suggested really belong in the
LDAP protocol spec. (2251 or its successor)?  I don't see any place in
2251 where it says "Clients SHOULD NOT use a message ID of zero when
sending requests, as zero is reserved for unsolicited notifications."
The API spec. could make recommendations about how to generate message
IDs that make spoofing more difficult, but even that discussion belongs
in 2251 in my opinion.

--
Mark Smith
iPlanet Directory Architect / Sun-Netscape Alliance