Re: Multiple extended responses per request

-----Original Message-----
From: Mark C Smith <mcs@netscape.com>
To: Bruce Greenblatt <bgreenblatt@directory-applications.com>
Cc: Roger Harrison <RHARRISON@novell.com>; ietf-ldapext@netscape.com
<ietf-ldapext@netscape.com>
Date: 14 September 1999 17:45
Subject: Re: Multiple extended responses per request

>I for one am skeptical of the value in using another protocol (e.g.,
>SNMP) to retrieve status about LDAP requests.  That just doesn't feel
>like the right architectural solution to me.  Coordinating requests and
>awkward.  I do think the topic of how best to provide status about "long
>lived" LDAP operations is an important one.

Coordinating activity across two protocols isnt a problem, its the
co-ordination of two different types of activity. This will be the case
anyway, whether LDAP is augmented to carry management information or whether
snmp or some other management protocol is used.

I think that there is an issue as to how much of the server management
information is useful to the client. The original post was a hypothetical
example, so I would imagine that if there is  a requirement to give the
client access to mgmt info, there would be more than one type. If this is
the case I do not see how this would be a useful thing for LDAP to cover.
Management protocols already have the core management functions in place, to
do this again with LDAP would be difficult to justify. If any activity is to
take place in this area, I think that a  MIB for client accesible
information based on a management protocol would be the best route.

Steve Fisher

BT Syncordia