Re: Schema evolution

Date forwarded: 	Thu, 19 Aug 1999 10:54:00 -0700 (PDT)
Date sent:      	Thu, 19 Aug 1999 11:53:27 -0600
From:           	"Jim Sermersheim" <JIMSE@novell.com>
To:             	<ietf-ldapext@netscape.com>, <akolli@us.oracle.com>
Subject:        	Re: Schema evolution
Forwarded by:   	ietf-ldapext@netscape.com

> Something that I never see discussed when it comes to extending the schema
> is the use of the dITStructureRules attribute.  I have to say, I'm not
> sure why X.500 allows for these schema rules to be defined in multiple
> places (in the object class definitian as well as the structure rule for
> that object class),

Jim

X.500 does not allow structure rules to be defined in multiple places.
they are defined in just one place, the ditStructureRule itself. Maybe
you should read Chapter 3 of my online book (URL below) for a
reasonably clear explanation (I hope) of structure rules.

I guess you may be falling for the classic mistake of confusing
superior object classes in the object class hierarchy with the
superior object class in the DIT structure rule (this is mentioned in
my book as the number one mistake that people make when looking
at the DIT hierarchy and object class hierarchy and equating them
one to the other)

David

David Chadwick
IS Institute, University of Salford, Salford M5 4WT
Tel +44 161 295 5351  Fax +44 161 745 8169
Mobile +44 790 167 0359
*NEW* Email D.W.Chadwick@salford.ac.uk *NEW*
Home Page  http://www.salford.ac.uk/its024/chadwick.htm
Understanding X.500  http://www.salford.ac.uk/its024/X500.htm
X.500/LDAP Seminars http://www.salford.ac.uk/its024/seminars.htm
Entrust key validation string MLJ9-DU5T-HV8J