Re: Schema evolution

Something that I never see discussed when it comes to extending the schema is the use of the dITStructureRules attribute.  I have to say, I'm not sure why X.500 allows for these schema rules to be defined in multiple places (in the object class definitian as well as the structure rule for that object class), maybe someone can point me in the right direction.  But, one could conceive of using this as a way of extending an object class without really changing its schema definition.

What makes me slightly nervous is that I seriously doubt client applications are taking dITStructureRules, nameForms, and dITContentRules into consideration when examining the schema. (that leads me to my next post).

Jim

>>> "Ashish Kolli" <akolli@us.oracle.com> 8/19/99 9:57:43 AM >>>
Hi,

As LDAP centric applications evolve, there will definitely be a need to
support slight changes in the schema.
One well known way to do it is to create auxiliary object classes and add
them onto existing entries in the DIT. Another way to do it is to provide
limited support of extending the existing schema in the directory (like
adding additional optional attributes to an objectclass). Is the latter
method a "well-accepted" way of supporting schema evolution?

regards,

Ashish Kolli
OiD Group