From: Kurt D. Zeilenga [mailto:Kurt@OpenLDAP.Org]
Sent: Thursday, August 19, 1999 2:47 PM
To: MIRCEA PANA
Cc: alexis.bor@directoryworks.com; 'Ashish Kolli';
ietf-ldapext@netscape.com
Subject: Re: Schema evolution

At 02:22 PM 8/19/99 -0400, MIRCEA PANA wrote:
>Right, but are there any rules for defining schema additions with local
scope.
>We have requirements for new object class, attribute etc. definitions for
our
>directory services only (nobody outside our company would need them).We
should
>not need to register OID.s publicly.
>We found issues like:
>1. How can we make sure the OID.s we define internaly will not be asigned
by
>the standardization organizations to somebody else?

Obtain a private enterprise OID from IANA or other registrant.

>2. Is there any ARC that is reserved for private use (like the class A
network
>10.0.0.0 in TCP/IP)?

Well, you could use OIDs under "1.1" as the ISO Registration Authority
is retired... (it's not explicitly set aside for this purpose).

However, obtaining an private enterprise OID is easy and free:
  http://www.isi.edu/cgi-bin/iana/enterprise.pl

(and, yes, they are not just for SNMP).

>3. How can we make sure that the nameswe chose for the object classes
>attributes, etc. will not conflict with public names in the future?

You should prefix names with something that is unlikely to conflict.
This will likely keep your names from conflicting with any names used
in standard track specifications.  However, it will not keep you from
conflictly globally.... that's what OIDs are for.